Along with sun and vacations, you can always count on summertime in New York City to brings heat, humidity and some unique cleaning challenges. Here are a few cleanup tasks that need a little extra TLC during the hot summer months.
- A little humidity may keep your home from becoming overdry in winter, but in summer it can lead to unhealthy and unsightly mold and mildew - your bathroom is the perfect cultivation environment for both of these nasties. Be sure to turn on the fan or open a window after your shower and leave the fan on for at least 30 minutes afterwards. Also, make it a habit to wipe down any surfaces where water accumulates.
2) Kitchen Trash
- As the temperatures rise, so do odors - particularly from things like food refuse. Now is a good time to give that kitchen trash can a good scrubbing. You may want to empty your trash more frequently than usual too!
While you're in the kitchen, pour a few spoonfuls baking soda or a few pieces of lemon peel into the garbage disposal and run it to eliminate garbage disposal odors.
3) Carpeting and Upholstered Furniture -
Heat and humidity bring out odors in carpets and upholstery too.
Some options for taming them:
4) Bed sheets
- Shampoo your carpets and upholstery, or better yet, call a professional cleaning service to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Cleaning pros have equipment that will get more of that deep-down dirt out of your carpets and dry them much faster than consumer carpet cleaners.
- Need a quick fix? Try sprinkling baking soda on carpets and upholstery and leave for a few minutes before vacuuming.
- What about sprays and room fresheners? Sprays like Febreeze(tm) may help mask odors temporarily but for long-term relief a good cleaning is the only answer.
- Even if you change and wash your sheets regularly they can quickly become a little "less fresh" between washings in the summer. Putting a few drops of an essential oil, like lavender or eucalyptus, in a spray bottle with some water and spritzing your sheets will solve the problem and leave your bedroom smelling amazing.
5) Pool and Beach Toys
- Summer often means spending family time in the pool or on the beach. Things like plastic pool toys, floats and rafts should be cleaned after each use. Wipe them down with a little white vinegar on a paper towel - this cleans and disinfects them without the need for harsh chemicals.
Need a hand taming the summertime cleaning challenges around your home or office? Call NY Brite for a free cleaning quote in NYC
! Serving Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens for over 26 years.