REFRIGERATOR CLEANING 101
A healthy home means keeping your family well and safe. Maintaining a clean refrigerator extends the life of food it holds, reduces risk of food-borne illness and saves energy. Spills or leakages from the foods in your fridge can harbor bacteria and spread to other foods. Smart fridge maintenance involves monitoring the temperature and cleaning regularly to keep food safe.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Non-abrasive sponge
- Multipurpose cleaning spray
- Liquid Dish soap
- Dish towels / Paper towels
- Old toothbrush (optional)
- Stainless steel cleaner (optional)
- Microfiber cloth (optional)
- Cooler (optional)
Unplug Fridge- Unplug fridge and pull away from the wall. Vacuum or sweep behind. Slide coil brush under fridge kick plate to clean and remove dust.If these coils become covered with dust and grime, your refrigerator will become less efficient.
REFRIGERATOR INTERIOR CLEANING
- Empty Fridge-Start by taking everything out of the fridge and setting on countertop. Throw out old leftovers and expired food items. Wipe down remaining items, group like items together and place in cooler as you clean.
- Remove Shelves & Drawers- Remove every piece possible inside the fridge: shelves, produce drawers, dividers, doors...
- Wash & Scrub- Wash each piece with a sponge, warm soapy water and liquid dish soap in the sink. If the drawers are too large for the sink, use the bathtub. Rinse and air dry.
- Spray & Wipe- Spray interior with a multi-surface spray. Wipe down the walls, shelves, shelf seams, and the rubber door seal. Use a non-abrasive sponge to remove sticky, caked-on spills. Use an old toothbrush to remove grime from the cracks.
- Replace Shelves & Drawers- Replace all the shelves and drawers.
- Plug Fridge In- Plug fridge back in and return the shelves, drawers and food from cooler. Wipe down bottles and jars and you return them to the fridge.
- Baking Soda- Place a small box of baking soda in the door or in the back of the fridge to minimize odors.
REFRIGERATOR EXTERIOR CLEANING
- Wipe down the exterior- Use a damp cloth soaked in clean, soapy water to wipe down exterior of fridge. Dry immediately with a paper towel, dish towel, or microfiber cloth.
- Stainless Steel- Use microfiber cloth, stainless steel surface spray, and rub in the direction of the grain.
- Enameled Steel- Use a multi-surface spray and paper towels.
For more CLEAN TIPS read:
Clean Tips For Staying Cool This Summer
Keeping Hardwood Floors Clean In The City That Never Sleeps
5 Cleaning Tips for New Yorkers in a Hurry
Managing Dust Bunnies In Your Manhattan Home or Office
Winter Fresh Cleaning Tips
Clean Tips For Sparkling Windows
CleanTip: Count Down To Thanksgiving